Happy Friday everyone...
As I'm sure you're all well aware by now, over the past couple of weeks I've been slaving away on a massive overhaul/rewrite of The Tainted Forest
Before I get onto the details, quick history of that story:
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away (2013), there was a flash game called Corruption of Champions
, created by a man named Fenoxo. The game was basically about a villager (the player character) sacrificed and sent through a portal. As they explore the new world, they encounter a wide arrange of creatures and whatnot. Bad-ends (and good-ends) galore, plus all kinds of transformations. I played it back then and enjoyed the corruption and male to female transformation aspects, but lost interest because of the vast amount of furry content added (no offense to furry fans, just not my thing).
I then decided to write my own "dark fantasy corruption" story, and published a 20k word book called Lost in the Woods
. I took it down a month later. I eventually republished it as The Demon Forest: Lost In The Woods Book 1
, after tweaking the story a tiny bit and even went onto do some basic brainstorming for a theoretical book 2. Book 2 never happened because I started writing other stuff. In 2015 I updated the cover and changed the title to just The Tainted Forest,
and it's been that way since.BACK TO THE PRESENT...
I've always been a fan of science fiction and fantasy and The Tainted Forest
always clung to the back of my mind, whispering for a revisit. So a couple weeks back I dusted off the manuscript and started rewriting it. I fixed things, I removed things, I added a lot
of things. It went from ~21,000 words to ~29,000 words. With the rewrite finished, I did what every writer should do, and that was send it off to an editor. She's an editor I've worked with in the past, and very much trust what she has to say. She's a much better writer than I am, so of course I take what she suggests very seriously. I had her not just proofread and fix grammar/syntax, I told her to go nuts and give the manuscript a very thorough workover and point out all the plot issues.
No writer likes seeing their manuscript covered in red ink, nor seeing many, many,
comments about plot inconsistencies and similar things. Mine was covered in so much red that if it was a physical manuscript the editor would've gone through several red pens in the process. After skimming through all the comments she made, and her final notes and suggestions of the story as a whole, I realized that I still have a lot of work ahead of me. That no way is this story ready to be published, especially with the fact that I want to be able to make a living on writing, whether it's smut or vanilla. If I'm going to take becoming a writer seriously, I have to take my work seriously.
Simply put, the story is not ready. It's not even close. It's far from ready. Not just because of the changes that I have to make and the stuff that I need to add, but because I made another decision. This one based on a comment from the editor about how I ended book 1.
I won't be publishing it.
That's because this morning, I made the executive decision to not publish it as a novella in a series. I decided that after I make the necessary changes and additions, I'm going to tack on what I started writing for book 2 and turn this story into a full-fledged novel. Not a series of novellas/short stories. Something big and juicy, and hopefully very fulfilling and delicious.
I've got my work cut out for me, but I'm determined.